Perisher – Australia’s Own Winter Wonderland
Seeing your kids eyes light up as they see snow for the first time is a magical moment you will never forget. For the majority of Kids in Australia, this is not something they experience everyday which is what makes a family trip to the snow so special and a must do holiday at least once in your lifetime.
Perisher- The Facts
Perisher really is a winter wonderland. Seven snow-capped mountains, 47 lifts, 50 runs and 4 resorts catering for all levels of skiers and boarders makes Perisher the biggest ski resort in the southern hemisphere. Located in the picturesque Kosciuszko National Park, The Snowy Mountains are a 2 ½ hour drive from Canberra, 6 hours from Sydney and 7 hours from Melbourne. Whether you chose to fly or drive, the snow season runs from June through to September which offers the opportunity to travel during school holidays or the school term.
Accommodation with kids
Perisher has accommodation options to cater for every family and every budget. From the exclusive on-snow hotels such as the Marritz Hotel and Hotel Perisher to camping grounds at nearby Jindabyne a search on perisher.com.au is sure to find the perfect accommodation for your family . A great mid-range hotel option for families is Ski Rider. Located in the National Park and only 10km from the slopes, this hotel is perfect for a family visiting the snow. Ski hire, a free shuttle, games room, 2 dining options, friendly staff, nightly entertainment are all bonuses at Ski Rider, but most importantly, there are warm showers and a comfy bed which is the only thing you really need after a day on the slopes. Plus it does snow at Ski Rider which means you get the on snow experience without the ski-in, ski-out price tag.
Skiing and Boarding
Most of the families who visit the snow try snowboarding or skiing while they are there. The single best piece of advice you can be given is to have a lesson and do not try to teach yourself! Skiing and boarding can be a dangerous sport so learning from the professionals is the only way to go. Adults can chose from 2 hour private lessons and group lessons, while kids have a few more options available to them.
There is an all-day ski school or 3 hour lesson option for kids aged 5-14 years which is perfect and highly recommended.(There are also options for younger kids in a Discovery Kids or Little Stars program.)The ski instructors are not only talented skiers but also are also great at interacting with the kids. But beware, not matter what option you choose for your kids, they will be beating you down the mountain by the end of the day!
Top 5 Must Do’s On Your Family Holiday To Perisher
- Build a snowman- Ever since Anna asked Elsa if she wanted to build a snowman, every kid in Australia has wanted to build their own Olaf and this is easily done anywhere you can find some snow- just remember to bring a carrot along with you for the perfect nose!
- Have a hot chocolate in Pretty Valley- THE BEST HOT CHOCOLATE EVER can be found in Pretty Valley. It comes with whipped cream, wafer biscuit and a freckle. The view from the café is superb and it is the perfect way to warm up on a snowy day.
- Go tobogganing- Not everyone goes to the snow to ski and tobogganing can be a fun activity on a day trip to the snow. You can bring your own toboggan, hire one or take a ride on a blow up tyre at Perisher’s own Tube Town. Whatever way you chose to go down the hill there will be smiles and squeals of delight the whole way down!
- Visit the magic forest- Hidden near Happy Valley is a secret magic forest scattered with tunnels and Australian animal statues for the kids to find. This is not on the ski trail map so you will have to explore the mountain to find it, but it is a must see for the kids while in Perisher.
- Have a snowball fight- No family trip to the snow is complete without a kids vs parents snowball fight. However be warned, play nice as while it looks like fun and games, snowballs can be hard and very cold and you don’t want to end your family snowball fight with tears!
- Book as far in advance as you can to ensure you get the best price at the time you want to go.
- Borrow ski gear from friends or purchase items on ebay/Gumtree. Most kids outgrow their ski gear after one season/holiday. Failing that make sure you line up and get a bargain at the Aldi ski sale!
- When at the snow hire a locker. It’s great to store your ski gear in so you don’t have to carry it to and from the slopes everyday plus food on the slopes is expensive so you can store snacks and water in there to save money and time.
- Perisher allows you to store your kids skis overnight free of charge no matter where you have hired them from which saves you carrying them on a bus or in your car each day.
- Pre-purchase lift passes, lessons and ski hire as you get much better discounts.
- If you are from Queensland, the Northern Territory or Perth make sure you pack your thermals- the snow is cold and it will be a massive shock to the system!
For more information on Perisher and to book your holiday visit http://www.perisher.com.au/ for more pictures of Perisher head to our Pinterest Page